6.04.2008

How To: Inspiration Boards

Since planning my wedding, new exciting trends have emerged like blogging and inspiration boards! I never made an inspiration board for my wedding, but I wish I had. (It may have saved me from changing my colors 43 times!) Now that I have a few boards under my belt, I am finding it harder and harder to make a board I like! I usually add all my pictures I have saved for that color scheme or theme to a blank canvas. Then I arrange and remove to create my board. I usually add and remove pictures several times. I like to have a balance of wedding elements. I do not want to have 4 bouquets for example. What are your tactics when it comes to creating an inspiration board, whether it be for you and your fiance, a client, or a friend?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also been around since before wedding inspiration boards existed (thanks style me pretty) and now they are everywhere. My one piece of advice for anyone doing a board is to think of what Coco Chanel said about accessories...always take one thing off before leaving the house...i.e. less is more.

I think most people want to put every picture they've ever found that is remotely related to their wedding in their board and the end result is a cluttered board with too many pictures and most of the pictures are tiny so you can't see them really anyway. So many times I look at a board and think "i have no idea what she's going for...this just looks confused."

Boards are supposed to help you focus and people should be able to immediatly get the vibe within a second of looking at it. IMO, this is best acheived with a handful of simple and direct photos.

Melissa DiStefano said...

Me too, Inspiration Boards are a new thing... not around when I was planning my wedding, or even two years ago.

But my general rule is to limit the number of pictures to 9 or so. Not use ONLY wedding pictures - like your bronze pears. And not to clutter the pictures. Sometimes it takes me days to finish one. But Miss Capitol Hill is right, less is more. Keep it simple and use photos that simply put what your focus is at the forefront of the image.

Your boards are really good!

Eliana@BYSE said...

Love the boards! Thanks to the previous writers for their comments as well.

Kathryn said...

Like you've all said, it's really about focus and creating a cohesive look, and to do that, all I can say is EDIT EDIT EDIT. Even if you love an image or idea, if it detracts from the rest of the inspiration board, let it go.

Anonymous said...

Your boards are lovely! That's great information Miss Capitol Hill and Melissa.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I found your blog and your post. I am slowly learning how to put together and inspiration board for my own wedding and for my own blog. Photoshop has me reeling and I needed some good advice. I love your boards and think that whatever you are doing, you should keep it up because it its wonderful

Lucky Designs said...

Mimi - Feel free to email me about your event, and I will put together a board for you.